Wednesday, April 7, 2010

We have a hexagon!

Well...it looks promising, doesn't it?
DSC01987

This is the first of 6 hexagons of flowers! It's done.

There are some things about this that are a pain...turns out that the coral glows under my full spectrum embroidery light when I try to take a photo. I didn't try a flash, I assume it'd be worse. Maybe I can get an outdoor shot tomorrow.

DSC01990

This one looks a bit better, the angle seems to help, and you can see how 3-D these flowers are.

DSC01984

This one is my favorite...well, it's better with leaves, but it's cute! And the petals are all curly.
This is also the one with the truest color. This blue on my monitor is the sky blue of the silk background, as well as the right, bright green, and pink.

DSC01982

This shot of the back of the embroidery shows the part of silk ribbon embroidery that is a pain...you have to sew down all the foolish little tails. It is slow and frustrating, and must be done carefully!

DSC01983

This is the front of that same bit. I later went over the petals to make them bigger and poofier.

DSC01992

Hmmm....I do like how this one turned out, too...with the bright coral flowers, and their dark leaves. I was choosing leaf colors, I had 3 greens, and decided that the neat variegated darker green with brown was just not going to work, and I wasn't going to use it at all. Then after I put leaves on a few flowers, I realized that neither the sedate pale green, nor the bright green was going to work for this flower. I ended up being able to use that green after all!

DSC01994

I like this combo, too...they look sweet together. Ok, I guess I like these flowers. Perhaps that is why I chose this pattern? Of course, the pattern in the magazine bears almost no resemblance to my flowers! I'm totally messing with the colors. The mag had representational colors and names for the flowers. Mine are pure fantasy, although I'm keeping the basic stem shapes and a smidge of petal shapes, mostly for balance. The colors are what I liked at the store, and nothing else!

There are a lot of french knots in this. I can't remember the last time I needed to make a French knot, and the centers of all the flowers have them, and that one flower (was it supposed to be a strawberry? Mine isn't) is just loaded with them!

Well, I got the first batch of flowers done, took about a day and a half, and I have 5 more to do. I'm getting faster, of course, and I'm learning what color goes where, so I won't have to spend quite so much time working that out tomorrow. I have the next batch sketched and labeled, and I even did a bit of stem stitching, so I'm good to start in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful! I love how well the ribbons work as petals.